Portsmouth is easily accessible through national and international sea, rail, air and road connections. Travelling around the city is also very easy as much of the city and its attractions are within walking distance from the University. There is also an efficient public bus service, local trains and an ample taxi service. Hotels, conference location, as well as shops, restaurants and bars are in reach of an easy 5-10 minute walk.
Maps and Directions can be found at the link below.
Most international colleagues will fly into one of the six London Airports (Gatwick Airport, Heathrow Airport, Stansted Airport, City Airport, Luton Airport, London Southend Airport) and they will then take a 1 ½ hour bus or coach ride straight into Portsmouth. There are a number of cheap flights into London, and all major low cost carrier operate one of the London Airports, so travel expenses will be comparably low.
- Heathrow International Airport is approximately 1 ½ hours by road and offers flights from most airlines from many international destinations. Coaches, trains, taxis and car hire make getting to Portsmouth easy.
- Gatwick Airport is the UK’s second largest airport is approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes from Portsmouth by road. It offers flights from most airlines from many international and nations destinations. There is a direct train service from Gatwick as well as a direct coach service.
- Southampton Airport is only about 30 minutes away and serves many European and national destinations. There is a direct train to Portsmouth.
For all airports there is a pick up and return service offered by many local taxi firms ranging from approximately £40 for Southampton to approximately £150 for the London Airports. This can be a cost effective method if two or more people are sharing.
Access to Portsmouth by sea is through a series of ferry services:
- Daily sailings to and from France via Cherbourg, Le Havre, St Malo and Caen
- A Twice weekly service to and From Bilbao, Spain
- And frequent daily sailing to the Isle of Wight by both Hovercraft, Catamaran and Ferry.
You can visit the Brittany Ferries website via the link below.
- There are trains to Portsmouth direct from both Victoria Station and Waterloo Station in central London. The service leaves regularly (every 15 minutes during peak times) and takes between 1 ½ – 2 hours (depending on route).
- There is a direct train from Southampton Parkway (servicing Southampton Airport) which leaves approximately every 20 minutes during peak times. It takes about 1 hour to get to Portsmouth.
- There are also direct services to Bristol, Brighton, south Wales and Bournemouth.
There are regular daily direct coach services from London, Bristol and Birmingham to Portsmouth, as well as regular coaches to the airports. The main coach station is only a 10 minute walk away from the University.
For both Trains and Coaches the Portsmouth Harbour Station (The Hard Interchange) is within a 5 minute walk of the University and right next to Gunwharf Quays. Portsmouth and Southsea Station is also about 5 minutes away.
For More Information please visit the link to National Express below.
Easy access to Portsmouth from London and other main cities:
- From Central London ( approx. 2 hours )
- M25 London Orbital (approx. 1 hour)
- Bristol (approx. 2 hours)
- Birmingham (approx. 3 hours)
- Heathrow Airport (International Connections) (approx. 1 ½ hours)
- Gatwick Airport (National & International Connections) (approx. 1 ½ hours)
- Southampton Airport (National & International Connections) (approx. 30 minutes)
Parking: There is ample parking in Portsmouth and the University has a number of dedicated car parks close to all major buildings it occupies. (We will provide parking permits for all delegates who require these). There is also plenty of parking throughout Portsmouth both on street and in car parks for a small charge.
Public Bus Service: Portsmouth and the surrounding area are well covered by a regular bus service.